viernes, 11 de junio de 2010

Caramellized Onions Pizza




Pizza is one of my favourite dishes. It is succulent and at the same time easy to cook and eat. It is a classic that everyone loves. However, during my period in Italy, I realized that it is really hard to surprise italians cooking this dish. They always affirm that it is impossible to cook good pizza without a firewood oven, and I quite agree on that.

However, the right combination of flavours can substitute the absence of a good oven. The one I am presenting today was a nice surprise for my friends.
In this post I will not cover how the pizza dough is made, but I will soon.
On the other hand, I will explain how to cook caramellized onions.


INGREDIENTS

  • 4 big onions.

  • 100gr of butter.

  • 2 spoonful of olive oil.

  • 4 spooful of balsamic vinegar.

  • 1 spoonful of sugar.


PREPARATION

  1. Chop the onions alla julienne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJN_IBR6Pg).

  2. Melt the butter in a pot.

  3. Once melted, add the onions with the olive oil and cook at low heat. The secretof caramellization is time.

  4. Add some salt and let it cook for 20 min.

  5. When onions are really tender, add the balsamic vinegar and the sugar. Amazing hit!

  6. Cook at low heat till the vinegar is evaporated.

  7. Once done, READY!

This caramellized onions can last on your fridge for about 4-5 days. I never tried freezing; if someone did, please let me know your results.
With this amazing ingredient, and a good pizza dough and fresh mozzarella, put the onions on top and enjoy. Ensured success even amongst italians!
Good matched are goat cheese, pinenuts, raisins or bacon.

Bon profit.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario